Tuesday, April 9, 2013

A home sweet home weekend

Hello all! I had another wonderful weekend at home with my family and friends. I was not able to get home until Saturday evening because I had to run the store for a few days for my manager while she was out of town. The drive was wonderful and the weather was to die for. Plus Leo did pretty good and he was able to go two hours without throwing up! He has a terrible problem with getting car sick and nothing seems to work. Him being in a car that long without getting sick is pretty good for him.

Needless to say, after I drove the three hours home after an eight hour work day, I was exhausted! I got to my mom's around 8:30pm and crashed! Sunday we slept in for a little bit and then went grocery shopping for the ingredients for the taco salad pie we've been wanting to make. It was so quick, easy and delicious! I found it on Pinterest and have been wanting to make it for weeks, but I have no one to cook for. That's the one thing about deployment, I have no one to cook for and I'm certainly not going to cook a big meal for myself. This taco salad pie is perfect for about five to six people. It makes a ton! Below is the recipe.

Taco Salad Pie-
Ingredients:
Crust
1/2cup crushed tortilla chips
1box Pillsbury® refrigerated pie crusts
Whole round tortilla chips
Filling
1lb lean (at least 80%) ground beef
1can (15 oz) spicy chili beans, undrained
1 1/2cups shredded Cheddar cheese (6 oz)
1/2cup Old El Paso® Thick 'n Chunky salsa
1cup chopped lettuce
1/2cup chopped tomato (1 small)
1green onion, sliced (1 tablespoon)
1/2cup sour cream
1/4cup sliced ripe olives, if desired

Directions:
Heat oven to 450°F. Sprinkle 1/4 cup of the crushed tortilla chips evenly in bottom of 9-inch glass pie pan. Make pie crust as directed on box for One-Crust Baked Shell in chip-lined pan. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup crushed tortilla chips over crust; gently press into crust. Generously prick crust with fork.
Bake 9 to 11 minutes or until crust is light golden brown. Cool slightly. Carefully stand 1 row of whole tortilla chips around inside edge of baked shell.
Meanwhile, in 10-inch skillet, cook ground beef over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until thoroughly cooked; drain. Stir in chili beans, 1 cup of the cheese and the salsa. Cook over low heat 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until beans are heated and cheese is melted.
Spoon beef mixture into cooled baked shell. Top with lettuce, remaining 1/2 cup cheese, the tomato, onion, sour cream and olives. Serve immediately.

So, if making the taco salad pie wasn't enough, I went over to my dad's for dinner that night. He made shrimp and grits, fried okra and my favorite chocolate pie for dessert. Shrimp and grits is my absolute favorite Southern meal. I had the pleasure of having it in Georgia last summer as well, but I have to say, my dad's tasted much better! He seriously needs to have his own show on Food Network! His food is amazing! The fact that he also made chocolate pie made me even happier! We make this pie every single Thanksgiving. This recipe has been in our family for years and years and I want to share it with you all!

Simple Chocolate Pie-
Ingredients:
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/4 tsp. salt
4 tablespoons cocoa
1 tsp. vanilla
2 tablespoons butter
2 cups milk
2 egg yolks
chocolate sprinkles
Cool Whip
Deep Pie Crust

Directions:
Mix dry ingredients (flour, salt, cocoa) really well.
Add enough milk to make a thick sauce; add the 2 egg yolks.
Pour rest of milk in and stir well.
Cook on stove on medium heat. Continue stirring and cook until boiling.
It will get thick. Take off stove and add butter and vanilla. Put it in an already cooked pie crust. Let it cool completely (refrigerated)
and top with cool whip and chocolate sprinkles.

Monday I took Leo to Michelle's Pretty Paws to get groomed. I love to get him groomed before we take long drives because he'll sleep the whole way and it helps him to not get sick. After I dropped him off I went to visit Erica. I originally made this trip home thinking that she would have had Austyn by this time, but babygirl is being a bit stubborn! Although Austyn has not come yet, it was so nice to just hang out and catch up. Austyn should be here this week sometime and then Jarrett and I will plan a trip home to visit when he returns home. I can't wait for him to meet her too! :) After my visit with Erica, I picked little boy up from the groomers and mom took me to lunch before leaving to come back home. Before I left, I went ahead and set Skype up for her. I will be Skyping with everyone normally when we move to Alaska so I wanted to go ahead and set it up or mom and show her how to use it.

Our drive home was so beautiful. I felt like driving forever. I had the sun shining, The Band Perry blasting and a puppy that slept the whole way and didn't throw up once. Perfect end to my weekend!

















No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello everyone! Thank you so much for your comments! I love hearing what you have to say, so comment away! You can also reach me through e-mail @ khayman27@gmail.com! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...